Life Insurance Code of Practice
We're proud to have adopted the Life Insurance Code of Practice (the Code) and to have played a leading role in its creation. The Code is the life insurance industry’s commitment to mandatory customer service standards and it’s designed to protect you.
The Code sets out the life insurance industry’s key commitments and obligations to customers on standards of practice, disclosure and principles including:
- We will be honest, fair, respectful, transparent, and timely when we communicate with you, and we will use plain language unless medical or other technical terminology is needed.
- We will ensure our staff and Authorised Representatives use appropriate sales and retention practices.
- We will offer extra support if you have trouble with the process of buying insurance or claiming.
- If we find that a sale was made using unacceptable sales practices, we will fix it, for example by issuing a refund or replacement policy.
- When you make a claim, we will explain the process and keep you informed about our progress assessing it.
- We will decide on your claim within the Code’s timeframes. But if we cannot, we will explain why and tell you how to make a Complaint.
- If we decline your claim, we will explain why in writing and let you know what to do if you disagree.
- We will restrict the use of investigators and Surveillance to preserve your right to privacy.
- The independent Life Code Compliance Committee (Life CCC) will monitor our compliance with the Code.
- We will be accountable for Code requirements, and the Life CCC can sanction us.
You can read the Code or find out more about it on the Council of Australian Life Insurers (CALI) website. CALI has also developed a Consumer guide to Life Insurance Law and Life Insurance Premiums Fact Sheet.
The Life Code Compliance Committee (Life CCC)
The Life CCC is an independent body established to monitor compliance with the Code. Its aim is to ensure consistent and high-quality service standards are provided to customers by the life insurance industry. The Life CCC enforces the Code by monitoring compliance, investigating Code breaches and imposing sanctions where appropriate.
Download a full version of the Code.